5. Thanks to the Big Sky Arts Council, every Thursday night the meadow opens up the lawn for its free Music in the Mountains series. The kids can dance, you can sip a frosty beverage of choice and just let barefoot, easy, breezy summer happen.
Full Schedule of Bands
4. Bike Rentals. Big Sky is home to some of the most diverse biking trails in the area. One path meanders around town center, heads to the playground and back around. Ousel Falls is bikable, as well as the Porcupine Loop near Geyser Whitewater. The Hummocks and Upland trails opened this year, and cater to an older or more experienced family of bipeds. Regardless of how your family likes to pedal, bikes can be rented at Geyser. Bike rentals are also available at Grizzly Outfitters, but typically they cater to the more advanced bikers.
3. If you have a particularly social brand of child, Big Sky Resort offers Kid’s Club every day Monday- Friday from 4:00-6:00pm. With events like Mask Making Mondays, Goopy Oobleck Thursdays and Free Spirit Fridays, the kids are set up for an afternoon of chaperoned childhood perfection.
2. If hiking is your name, and your family is game the Ousel Falls Trail is a meandering 1.7 mile walk through pines, beside the water and ending at the impressive Ousel Falls. This hike was rated the Number One hike in Big Sky, and it stays true to its reputation. If you’re lucky you’ll catch a sneak peak at an elk or a brave kayaker taking the plunge. This trail can also be biked, although the final hill is more happily walked by little legs.
1. If your family is full of adventure and movement, Geyser Whitewater is right down the hill. They offer packages with Big Sky Resort, horseback riding with Canyon Adventures and the Zipline Adventure Park in West Yellowstone. The rafting trips vary in excitement from a relaxing scenic float to a rip-roaring adventure down the Gallatin River’s mad mile.
Lake Levinsky is also around for boating of the mellow variety. The Family Adventure Pass lets a family of four have unlimited access to the marina for a week. Canoes, paddle boats, stand up paddleboards, and kayaks (oh my).
Bonus Activity. For an extra treat, Sugar Buzz is our newest meadow business to pop up. And it’s a full service candy and ice cream bonanza. Be warned, the sugar heaven that awaits you in there is tempting to even the most seasoned sweet tooth.
If your family is into climbing, hiking, swinging, boating, laughing or music—have no fear—bring them to Big Sky and let the wild run free.